Sunday 1 February 2015

An Introduction

Hello,
   I am an economics undergraduate at the University of Buckingham with 5 months left to graduation. However, this blog is for my introduction to reporting course, which I'm taking as a free choice.
I'm 20 years old, I love all sorts of music, I love film and I've been trying to get into reading books for ages now, but it takes me a lot of willpower to keep reading. I enjoy books very much once I'm done with them, but for some reason it feels like such a chore to get through books. I blame the insane quantities of sugar and videogames I consumed as a teenager for rotting my attention span. I'll get it back one of these days though.

I enjoy studying economics here very much, although it's a lonely subject to study; nothing brings a conversation to a halt quite like quantitative easing and most people don't even know what economics is. 
The boring definition is that it's sating unlimited desires with finite resources in the most efficient way possible, but I like to think of it more as the scientific side of altruism. 
I was drawn to the subject because of how much interest I have in development; in ending poverty and famine and disease by creating wealth (I'm a very socially conscious soul) and haven't been too disappointed, although I wish we'd focus more on the developing world than the developed.
Studying economics in depth will make you more cynical than you could possibly imagine, the rich are fucking over the poor all the time and always have been. 
But on the other hand it's an exciting time to be into economics, because books like Picketty's "Capital . . ." or Stiglitz "Price of Inequality" are shifting the focus of this whole discipline from simply creating growth to making sure everyone benefits from it. I recommend reading any Stiglitz, the man talks a lot of sense, knows how to write and actually lives on this planet (a worryingly rare trait amongst economists I'm afraid to say).

I've tried blogging before, and with luck, all remnants of those past attempts have been obliterated from the internet forever more. Trust me, you don't want to know what 15 year old me thought about Scars on Broadway . . .
My main reason for taking introduction to reporting as a free choice is because my writing is pretty awful. I exaggerate, it's more or less fine once it's finished, but writing anything takes me an enormous amount of time. 
Typically I write my sentences about three or four times just to get them to make sense, and by that point I've convoluted whatever argument I was trying to make. So while I don't expect anyone outside of my class to read this, I'm glad to be practicing for practices sake.

Anyway, my lecturer warned me the one thing I shouldn't do is be boring and I feel like I've rambled for long enough. Hope to see you round here.

-Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment